What documentation is needed to become certified by Louisiana Department of Veteran Affairs as a veteran, active-duty or reserve military, or Gold Star spouse for this program?

Complete the process online at LAVeteransFirst.org or go to one of the Louisiana Department of Veteran Affairs Parish Service Offices, bring the required documentation and have the business certified.

Veteran: Provide an original or certified copy of an official discharge record which shows that the business owner’s service was under conditions other than dishonorable. Examples of acceptable documents:

  • DD Form 214
  • NGB Form 22
  • DD Form 256

Active: Business owners must present a current, valid Uniformed Services ID Card or Common Access Card (CAC) confirming active, reserve or national guard status.

Gold Star: Business owners must verify that they are a Gold Star spouse as defined by the Department of Defense (DoD), by bringing a US Department of Veterans Affairs award letter granting you Dependency and Indemnity Compensation.  Business owners may still qualify even if the VA has stopped paying such business owners because they have remarried.  The LDVA Veterans Assistance Counselor will ensure that the circumstances of the servicemember’s death meet the requirements of the DoD definition.

If you encounter any difficulty in securing the required documentation listed above, assistance is available.  Visit the nearest LDVA Parish Service Office to receive assistance. Find the most convenient location by visiting https://www.vetaffairs.la.gov/locations/.